Drug Abuse Prevention within the LGBTQ Community
Course Name and Number
Drug Abuse Prevention within the LGBTQ Community
LGBTQ people in the US face more stigma and discrimination than heterosexual people. As a result, the LGBTQ community is more likely to be harassed or violently attacked, putting them at risk for health issues. According to US studies, the LGBTQ community is more prone to substance and drug abuse disorders than the general population, highlighting the need to prevent drug abuse within the community (SAHMSA, 2018). The following strategies are suggested to better prevent or intervene with LGBTQ drug abuse. The first option is to combat bullying. The LGBTQ community faces harassment, violence, and threats, which affects their mental health and well-being. Preventing harassment reduces health risks, including drug abuse (SAHMSA, 2018).
Best nursing paper writers on hand to assist on Drug Abuse Prevention within the LGBTQ Community Essay Assignment
The second option is to help victims of drug abuse. The LGBTQ community is expected to face marginalization, poverty, and stigma. In order to prevent further substance abuse, it is important to raise awareness of violence against LGBTQ people (SAHMSA, 2018). The third strategy is equal rights advocacy. It will reduce many forms of heterosexual oppression and prevent marginalization. Advocacy is critical to removing internal feelings of shame and self-acceptance struggles. Adopting social institutions that do not discriminate against LGBTQ people reduces the risk of mental health issues. Improved mental health access for LGBTQ communities is another option to consider. It removes the fear of coming out as LGBTQ. They can live without stigma, improving their mental health and coping skills in situations that trigger substance abuse.
How Prevention strategy Differ from Other Strategies
LGBTQ communities are more vulnerable to drug and alcohol addiction. According to research, 30% of LGBTQ people use drugs, compared to 9% of the general population (Fenkl et al., 2020). The data shows that the prevention strategy for LGBTQ must be different. Contrary to popular belief, bullying, harassment, violence, and threats against the LGBTQ community are all preventable. Thus, the prevention strategy differs by addressing systemic issues first before addressing individual substance abuse. The strategies are to eliminate bullying, improve access to mental health services, and advocate for LGBTQ equality. These strategies are distinct from others because they consider all possible threats to the LGBTQ community.
Fenkl, E. A., Jones, S. G., Aronowitz, T., Messmer, P., Olafson, E. A., Simon, S. R., & Framil, C. V. (2020). Risky sex and other personal consequences of alcohol and drug use among LGBTQ college students. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, 31(4), 476–482. https://doi.org/10.1097/jnc.0000000000000161
SAHMSA, S. A. H. M. S. A. (2018, October 1). Treatment needs of LGBT population – youtube. Retrieved March 17, 2022, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI8tlhLLCS
View this video: SAMSA. (2018, June 13). Treatment Needs of LGBT Population.
Drug abuse problems are found to vary in nature and extent among the various subgroups in the population. In the same way, cultural differences require various prevention strategies be used with different cultural groups. Discuss prevention within the LGBTQ community after viewing the webinar. How might the prevention strategies differ from what might be used with a mainstream group?
Do you need essay help? Never again should you struggle with your pressing nursing assignments when professional nursing writers are here to help.
If you need help with your nursing paper, we are your ultimate nursing assignment writing helper. Our professional nursing writers are always ready to tackle even the hardest of nursing papers.
Best site that aces nursing papers online
Our professional writers are well experienced in writing nursing papers and are thereby able to tackle any topic around Nursing, Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Pedagogy, Gynecological, Medicine & Health, Healthcare, Nutrition, or Pharmacology, and more.
Your reliable nursing writing service online
Let our professional nursing essay writers be there for you. Our writing service comprises 100% Plagiarism-Free Papers, On-Time Delivery, 24/7 Support,
Order now for an original nursing paper on Drug Abuse Prevention within the LGBTQ Community Essay Assignment Paper
- Mental Health Among LGBT Individuals Health Promotion Plan
- Common health problems and mortality data for a specific high-risk family
- Health Care Reform when faced with a complicated issue
- Discuss when the use of illicit drugs may be considered culturally appropriate
Factors that make us special:
- We handle assignments for all nursing courses. So, don’t worry about the topic of the essay you want, we are ready to help you with your assignment regardless of the course or topic.
- Our writers read, understand, and follow one by one, the instructions provided to deliver the most accurate essays. We offer the correct form and style of essays.
- You can be sure the paper will have proper references based on the type of citation style you choose.
- You can always work with the same writer you liked. You can include the writer’s ID in the order form and we will ensure your expectations are met. We have writers who are experienced in all areas of study.
- Affordable services. Relax! we are not expensive, by the way, our prices are fair for the writers, but affordable to you as a customer. We will offer you a discount to try our services. Become part of our loyalty discount program by coming back for more and more services.
- We have a very flexible pricing system. The good news is that we let you choose from five quality levels, from High School to Ph.D. We also let you choose from different deadlines, from 5/6 hours to 20 days